Facilities Management KPIs April 23, 2008Posted by Sezgin Kaya in KPIs.
Tags: Facilities KPIs, What is FM Excellence?
What are the KPIs for facilities operations? Although I have not got an off-the shelf answer (and really sceptical of universal KPIs that apply to all organisations), we can mention here about a process that can lead to defining your own KPIs… As a start, use these three simple steps:
Firstly, identify the key business objectives, which your FM organisation tries to achieve.
Secondly, relate these objectives to services or products you offer
Thirdly, create a measurement system and align performance measures with your Performance Management System.
Some examples of KPIs are:
- No loss of business due to failure of services
- Customer satisfaction
- Completion of project to customer satisfaction
- Provision of safe environment
- Effective utilisation of space
- Effectiveness of communication
- Professional approach of facilities staff
- Responsiveness to problems
- Competence of staff
- Management of maintenance
- Responsiveness to changes/requirements
- Value for money
- Satisfactory working conditions
- Provided equipment meets business needs
- Suitability of premises and functional environment
- Quality of end product
- Effectiveness of help desk service
- Achievement of completion deadlines
- Correction of faults
- Standards of cleaning
- Management Information
- Energy performance
A Global Bank’s Performance Indicators:
- Shareholder value
- Staff Retention
- Risk/Health and safety
- Image and PR
An Investment Bank’s Performance Indicators:
- Respect for the individual
- Client focus
- Responsible citizenship
Also some building related KPIs (I call them operational KPIs) are commonly used in the contracts:
- $/m2 , $/FTE, $/workstation etc.
- availability of facilities
- work orders v closed work orders
- response / resolution times and job closure
- customer satisfaction
- recycling tons/ann etc.
Computerised systems such as Maximo can help to automise the performance measurement and reporting.